Sunday, January 25, 2015

Debbie Reyolds Receives the SAG Lifetime Achievement Award

The Screen Actors Guild Awards were tonight. At this event, not only were the actors we lost last year honored, but one still living was honored for a lifetime of work. Debbie Reynolds, 82, was awarded the prestigious Lifetime Achievement Award. The presenter was her daughter, Carrie Fisher (Star Wars). You can watch the full acceptance speech below.

 
For some reason, Debbie Reynolds has never been a favorite actress of mine. Maybe it was because the movies I first saw of her growing up were movies that didn't resonate with me in any way. Yes, I saw Singin' in the Rain, but I'm not a huge musical person (which is weird because singing and playing musical instruments are an important part of my life). Also, I'm not fond of Gene Kelly. But enough about what I don't like.
 
 
The other day I watched for the first time, The Catered Affair (1956) starring Ernst Borgnine, Bette Davis, Debbie Reynolds, Barry Fitzgerald, and the recently deceased Rod Taylor. The movie itself was good - not something I plan on watching every year - but still good. And, I surprisingly found myself liking Debbie Reynolds a little more.
 
 
Here are the movies I have seen with Debbie Reynolds:
 
June Bride (1948) - uncredited. Unfortunately I didn't know she was in it until I had already deleted it off my dvr
Singin' in the Rain (1952) - need to watch again as I've only seen it once when I was little
The Catered Affair (1956) - her first drama
 
 

Tammy and the Bachelor (1957) - watched the Tammy series to see Sandra Dee, but this one was really good, well worth watching. Read my post from the Cinemascope Blogothon!
 
 
Say One For Me (1959) - watched it for Robert Wagner, wasn't worth it...


How the West was Won (1962)
Goodbye Charlie (1964)
The Singing Nun (1966) - was too young when I first saw it...

great song
(Random photos of Tippi Hedren at 1:55 and Sandra Dee at 2:36)
 
 
 Debbie Reynolds on IMDb
The Hollywood Reporter

No comments:

Post a Comment