Monday, May 23, 2016

Ten Movies on an Island: Post 1970s Edition

Photo from the TCM facebook page for the TCM Film Festival

This list answers the question, "What modern movies does a Classic Film fanatic watch?"

1970s:
1. Rocky (1976) - Sylvester Stallone & Talia Shire, Burgess Meredith
2. Silent Movie (1976) - Mel Brooks & Dom DeLuise w/ cameos by Burt Reynolds, Liza Minnelli, Anne Bancroft, James Caan & Paul Newman
3. The Shootist (1976) - John Wayne & Lauren Bacall, James Stewart, Ron Howard
4. Smokey and the Bandit (1977) - Burt Reynolds & Sally Field, Jackie Gleason
5. Rocky II (1979) - Sylvester Stallone & Talia Shire, Burgess Meredith
I only have three other films on my 70s list, which is why I didn't do a full 10.

1980s:
1. The Blues Brothers (1980) - John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd
2. Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid (1982) - Steve Martin & Rachel Ward
3. Clue (1985) - Tim Curry, Christopher Lloyd
4. The Goonies (1985) - Sean Astin, Josh Brolin
5. Moonstruck (1987) - Cher & Nicholas Cage
6. The Princess Bride (1987) - Cary Elwes & Mandy Patinkin
7. Plains, Trains, and Automobiles (1987) - Steve Martin, John Candy
8. Funny Farm (1988) - Chevy Chase
9. When Harry Met Sally (1989) - Billy Crystal & Meg Ryan
10. National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation (1989) - Chevy Chase
Honorable Mentions: Mickey's Christmas Carol (1983), See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989).

1990s:
1. Home Alone (1990) - Macaulay Culkin, Catherine O'Hara, John Candy
2. Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993) - Cary Elwes, Dave Chappelle
3. Sleepless in Seattle (1993) - Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan, Rosie O'Donnell
4. Rudy (1993) - Sean Astin
5. Maverick (1994) - Mel Gibson & Jodie Foster, James Garner
6. Apollo 13 (1995)- Tom Hanks, Gary Sinise, Ed Harris
7. Assassins (1995) - Sylvester Stallone & Julianne Moore, Antonio Bandaras
8. Sense and Sensibility (1995) - Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet, Hugh Grant
9. Conspiracy Theory (1997) - Mel Gibson & Julia Roberts
10. You've Got Mail (1998) - Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan
Honorable Mentions: Back to the Future Part III (1990), Home Alone 2: Lost in New York (1992), The Pelican Brief (1993), The Mummy (1999).

2000s:
1. Gladiator (2000) - Russell Crowe, Joaquin Phoenix
2. Ocean's 11 (2001) - George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Matt Damon, Julia Roberts
3. Signs (2002) - Mel Gibson, Joaquin Phoenix
4. The Bourne Identity (2002) - Matt Damon
5. Elf (2004) - Will Ferrall & Zooey Deschanel, James Caan
6. Mr. and Mrs. Smith (2005) - Brad Pitt & Angelina Jolie
7. The Queen (2006) - Helen Mirren
8. Deja Vu (2006) - Denzel Washington & Paula Patton, Jim Caviezel
9. Becoming Jane (2007) - Anne Hathaway & James McAvoy
10. The Young Victoria (2008) - Emily Blunt & Rupert Friend
Honorable Mentions: The Count of Monte Cristo (2002), Shanghai Knights (2003), National Treasure (2004), 27 Dresses (2008).

2010s:

1. The Kings Speech (2010) - Colin Firth, Geoffrey Rush
2. Tangled (2010) - Mandy Moore & Zachary Levi (voices)
3. The Adjustment Bureau (2011) - Matt Damon & Emily Blunt
4. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011) - Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law
5. This Means War (2012) - Reese Witherspoon, Chris Pine, Tom Hardy
6. White House Down (2013) - Channing Tatum, Jamie Foxx
7. The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (2013) - Ben Stiller & Kristen Wigg, Shirley MacLaine
8. The Man From U.N.C.L.E (2015) - Henry Cavill, Armie Hammer, Alicia Vikander
9. Jason Bourne (2016) - even though it hasn't come out yet
10. (OPEN) - there's still 3 and a half years to go!

What modern movies do YOU watch?

I'm going to take a week break from lists so I can finish up my posts for the Gotta Dance! Blogathon and the Animals in Film Blogathon, as well as my Behind the Dress post on Saturday. Starting next Monday, I'll begin to bring you my top ten by genre's list, starting with Musicals.

6 comments:

  1. You know, and I don't think I've ever stopped to ponder this point before, but I'd have a fairly hard time coming up with a list of the top 10 seventies films that I'd pick, too. I feel like the 1974 version The Great Gatsby would be on there, along with Annie Hall, The Godfather, Jaws, possibly Taxi Drive, (definitely) Grease, Young Frankenstein, and then, hmm, I'll definitely have to keep thinking. :)

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen any of those yet but I'm sure I'll (eventually) add more titles at some point. It's funny because the 70s and 80s have the least titles on my list but two of my absolute favorite films, Rocky and Moonstruck, are from those decades!

      Delete
  2. Goodness gracious, I've scanned through all of your lists, and there're plenty of movies I haven't seen yet! On the other hand, I simply adore some of your choices, and it seems we agree that 1990s romantic comedies are fun to watch - well, basically romantic comedies of all times are superb! It's great you created these lists, I'll definitely check out a couple of movies I haven't heard of before!
    Domi (Little Bits of Classics)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed :) Glad you're enjoying the lists and I can't wait to hear how you like some of the ones you haven't heard of before!!

      Delete
  3. YES YES YES THE KINGS SPEECH AND YOUNG VICTORIA ALL THE WAYY! As far as modern movies- I love The Princess Diaries movies and Bridget Jones films, Pirates of the Caribbean as well as Cate Blancett's Elizabeth movies. Network is one of my 70s flicks- I dont have many either, besides that and the shootist (and other john wayne movies!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely painful to leave Princess Diaries off but I didn't want to have toooo many honorable mentions ;) I remember I watched them before the Royal Wedding because I just had to watch something with princesses!!!

      Delete